Friday, October 7, 2011

Tag team

Sometimes, I think my kids get together and coordinate efforts to keep my husband and I up all night. The minute you get one calmed down, the other one starts up. Their timing is just too perfect for it to be coincidence.

Last weekend when I participated in my first craft fair, my husband watched the kids all of Friday night and Saturday until 5:30. When I got home, both of us were utterly exhausted and looking forward to bedtime. The kids went down without a fight and instead of going to bed early I was glued to the TV watching Prison Diaries on TLC, which is one of those shows that I probably wouldn't have watched normally, but for some reason was extremely entertaining at 9:30pm.

10:00 rolled around and I went through my normal bedtime routine and finally fell into bed around 10:20. Right as I was drifting into a warm, peaceful sleep, my daughter woke up crying. To help us both get a good night's sleep, it's usually my husband's responsibility to handle my daughter if she wakes up and I handle my son. That night I took pity on my husband since I had to leave him with the kids for half the weekend, so I got up to console my daughter who, in a half-asleep daze, claimed she had to go to the bathroom.

I suppressed the urge to remind her that it was 10:30 at night and she was wearing a diaper.

After dragging her little half awake body to the toilet and back, I settled back into bed. As I started to drift off again, my sweet husband rolled over and informed me that he had an annoying song running through his head. As he rolled over and went back to sleep immediately, Annoying Song proceeded to play over and over again in my head for the next 20 minutes. Annoying Song eventually tapered off and I finally managed to lull myself back to sleep. And it was at that moment that my son tagged in.

After lots of rocking and singing, I managed to get my son down again and get about 7 hours of sleep myself. This may sound like a lot but for me, this is just enough to function but not enough to be quick on my feet. This meant that everyday tasks the following day took about twice as long as they usually do because of lack of brain function. Brushing my teeth became a 10 minute event and grocery shopping lasted 2 1/2 hours. In my defense, there were a lot of new holiday snacks in the snack aisle that needed close inspection.

Is it bad that I'm kind of looking forward to when they're both teenagers and sleep til noon?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jen I'm right there with you!! I long for the day when they sleep til midday and I will too!! Although I have a sneaking suspicion my body clock may have changed and I'll be up at 7 anyway!! At least i'll be able to sew ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I´m looking forward too get them up when they come from parties at 5:00 in the morning, just to say "do you want some breakfast?" at 8:00! Sadism? YES! That keeps me getting up in the middle of the night :-)
    Have a great, calm weekend! Britta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would laugh but sleep deprivation is my life too. Nothing funny about it, I feel your pain and wish you some good nights sooner than the teenage yrs :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails