Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A weird favorite

Do you have a favorite food that's a little strange? I've always loved eating strawberry shortcake with milk. It's something my mom got me hooked on when I was little, and to this day I have to have my shortcake drenched in milk. It may sound like a strange combination, but the milk just cuts through all of the sugary whipped cream and tart berries and makes the dessert almost refreshing. You almost forget you're eating dessert.


The whole thing gets even better if you make your own whipped cream to smother everything in.

What? Homemade whipped cream? Oh yes.

When we got married, my husband insisted on making homemade whipped cream instead of buying the canned stuff. For some reason, I had never thought to make whipped cream from scratch before. It's funny how there are some things we've all just grown up buying our whole lives and never stopped to think, "Hey, I bet I could make that." If you've never tried making whipped cream before, it's totally worth it, especially if you have gourmet vanilla like the kind we got in Cozumel on our honeymoon 4 years ago. Mmm...

Once I cover my shortcake in homemade whipped cream, next comes the milk....

Then of course, you have to get the perfect spoonful with a bit of strawberry, shortcake, milk and whipped cream all in one bite.

Connor sensed there was food someone wasn't sharing with him and toddled over to see what was up. I think I may have another convert judging by his whipped cream-covered mouth.


What about you? Is there an odd food or food combination like my milk and shortcake that's a favorite of yours?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good to this pregnant Mama & I'm picky about strawberry shortcake Haha. Love the look on his face :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails